Did you know that vehicles are the number one recycled product in America? More than 85% of the material in motor vehicles, by weight, is recyclable. While recycling or junking a car appears to be popular business, a lot of Americans do not know much about the process. Here are 10 things to know about junking cars:
1. You often get more money for your car by selling it to a salvage lot because sometimes up to 98% of the vehicle gets recycled, this means that the salvage yard gets more money for the junk car- and so do you! Also, you often get paid in cash!
2. You can get a lot more money than you would expect for your junk car. The amount of cash you get depends on the condition of your car. Even if its total junk, the payout will depend on its size and weight.
3. You do NOT need the title for a car if; you own the vehicle, the car is 10 years or older, or you have the registration in your name.
4. Evaluate the overall condition of the car, so you have an idea of how much it is worth. The car is priced according to the year, make and model. Having a brief description of the car will also help provide the highest quote possible.
5. Autos arrive at the salvage yard in a number of ways. If the car runs, you can drive it to the lot. However, if your car is not working or not drivable, some places will pick your car up for you.
6. Once at the salvage yard, the fluids in the car must be drained and recaptured. This will prevent pollution. In some cases even the fluids can be recycled. For instance, Freon is often recycled and resold.
7. Your car is then dismantled and parts are removed or resold. Any parts that are functioning and in good shape are able to be resold.
8. Recycle, recycle, recycle! Often times, the parts from junked cars are recycled. Since the engines are made of high grade metal, they are of good value and resold. Likewise, parts with aluminum, like that transmission, radiators, and condensers are recycled. The chassis and other metal parts of the car are sold to steel mills where they are melted down to create something new.
9. Old vehicles pollute the environment, due fluids and rust, if they are not disposed of properly. Companies that specialize in junking cars know how to recycle your car properly and as a result benefit the environment.
10. Junking your car is a quick process! Once you have decided that you want to junk your car and have contacted the company, most times the car will be out of your hands within 24 hours!
Now that you know the basics, you can get started on getting CASH for your junk car!